Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Lois Jean Smedshammer

Dru's mom, Lois Smedshammer, passed away last week, June 26th, after a severe battle with Parkinson's Disease. By all accounts, she was a funny, generous, witty, kind, talented woman. I had the privelage of meeting her 2 years ago; at the time her disease had already progressed, but she had a few good moments with me - she told me she was so glad Dru had met and married me and how much her sons meant to her. She also made me laugh with her mischeviousness and her love of ice cream. Fortunately, Dru had flown out to North Dakota for a visit 3 weeks before she passed away - a blessed time for him.

Our whole family was able to fly to North Dakota for the funeral. All 3 of Dru's brothers and their families were able to be there as well, which was wonderful. The first day there, we all met for lunch and then spent the afternoon looking through pictures and sharing memories.

At lunch - from bottom L to R - Bucky, Matthew, Rose, Fin, Isaac, Jacob


And the other table. From L to R - Darris, Mars, Kerry, Dru


Auntie Rose and Fin - the first time he got to meet her!


The four brothers - Darris and Kerry in back, Bucky and Dru in front


And the four grandsons - Fin, Jacob, Matthew, and Isaac


The service itself was lovely. Dru grew up attending a small Lutheran church, and one of the pastors who had influenced Dru quite powerfully as a young man, Dan Faust, performed the service. Afterward, the church had a very nice lunch during which I got to meet several of Dru's old high school buddies. Then, there was a nice graveside service, during which Lois was buried next to her late husband, Burton. Dru said she always looked forward to the day she would be reunited with her husband. Both Lois and Burton are with the Lord now, which we are so grateful for.

The four brothers at the graveside


Our family


Us with Dan Faust, the pastor who performed the services


We stayed with Dru's Aunt Sharon and Uncle Harlan, an absolutely delightful, generous couple who have opened thier home and hearts to us. We asked them if they would step in as Fin and the new baby's surrogate paternal grandparents, as both Lois and Burton are gone. They were happy to do so.
Fin with "grandpa" Harlan and "grandma" Sharon

Playing with grandpa on their front lawn


Grandma feeding our little bird ice cream...yum!


More!


In this video, grandma Sharon is still feeding Fin ice cream. His reactions are priceless.


And, Fin took his first steps while in North Dakota!!! On our last night at Sharon and Harlan's, he was entertaining us with his shenanigans - he was dancing and taking some steps. In this video, you can see him do both!

2 comments:

  1. We are so sorry about Dru's Mom at the same time we are glad that she is with the Lord!...
    We enjoyed the pictures of Dru's family and most of all the wonderful dance and steps of Mr. Fin!
    Love you guys!
    Lorena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh druey! I am so very sorry to hear about your mom ... I'm sorry too, that I'm just now discovering the blog entry.
    I still remember we talked at length by phone when your Dad passed away ... How disappointing that I find myself being late but sincere ... with my heartfelt condolences! Wish we lived closer! One consolation though ----I was able to track the moment with you a little through pictures!
    ...Margo is an very good at capturing the moments with the Smedshammer family. I thought the pic of Fin with "grandpa" Harlan and "grandma" Sharon was very dear! I also like little Mr Fins dancing! :) How's margo feeling? how's little Miss "Mellie Pie JR" doing!
    I'll see if I can track down a new phone number
    for you and call you ASAP! I hope "the Smeds" have Grace for my obvious frailties ... because the truth is I love you all and miss you very much! :) love Mellie pie

    ReplyDelete