Thursday, September 9, 2010

My ---th Birthday

Yup, my 29.99999999th birthday, as I choose to call it, came and went on August 25th. Three days before my birthday, I was COMPLETELY surprised by a luau party thrown in my honor by my sisters (with a little help from Dru). All three of them did a fantastic job of keeping it a surprise - I had NO CLUE what was happening - as far as I knew I was meeting my sister and niece for a nice Sunday afternoon picnic and swim at Lucky Peak State Park. However, when we pulled up to the place we were to meet them, I began recognizing people who were NOT supposed to be there. I turned to Dru and asked, befuddled, "what the heck is this, Dru?? What the heck is this?!?!" He laughed and told me to get out of the car, which I was embarrassed to do as I hadn't taken a shower and had a bathing suit on underneath my grubby clothes. But I got out of the car and was greeted with a loud shouted "Surprise!" Surprise indeed!

The scene that we pulled up to


My birthday banner (the sign mistakenly has a 3-0 on it instead of 29.99999999)


The guilty instigators - Julia and Chelsea


Our family


Fin thought the surprise on Mommy was great


I mingled with guests for awhile - here with my nurse, Christie, from work and her mom - I was delighted they could come!


Of course Fin enjoyed being with Poppy


Even my 91-year-old grandmother showed up for the festivities!


Then it was time to eat - there was a snow-cone appetizer before dinner


And the boys (Ben and Dru) barbecued delicious marinated chicken and pineapple


Here I am with my plateful of Hawaiian goodies


After we ate, we played games - horseshoes, croquet, and volleyball


The master player


No, wait, here's the master player


A pic of the winning shot - or so I hoped; Julia actually beat me - barely


Then...my favorite part...CAKE!! Julia made this incredible Hawaiian cake


The detail was stunning - check out those palm trees and hibiscus flowers


She even hand-sewed together mini leis and fashioned tiny flip-flops out of icing!!!


A shot of me with my cake


And with the decorator


And with the planning committee


And my dearest hubby


And the whole fam


Fin loved eating the cake


I mean really loved it (you'd know how he feels if you tasted my sister's cake)


Then it was more fun and hanging out. Here's Gretchen Hawaiian style - "hangin' loose"


Gretchen and Callia in their Hawaiian gear


Poppy playing with the grandkids (of course)


And one final shot of me with my delightful sisters, who threw me a wonderful party. As a gift, my mom got me a bottle of wine called "Middle Sister" - classic. That pretty much says it all. Thank you, Jules and Chelsea!!!!

4 comments:

  1. What a blessing it must be to be living back with your family. This looks like such a special day - congratulations on turning 29.9999! :)
    I can't wait to hear your next news.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it....29.999999!

    This year I said I was celebrating my first anniversary of being 29. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks Like a Fun 30th B-Day! WISH I WAS CLOSER TO JOIN IN THE FUN! Mr Fin has grown! "The Little Man"! :-D
    Look forward to news of "Miss Mellie Pie JR." Wed Prayer Ladies (including me, Betty Scarponi,Mary Jo Johnson, and Irene Rothe)Keep you covered! Love you much---Mellie Pie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a surprise party!...Looks so fun and next year you are going to have another 30 years old Birthday party! Cool!...Happy 29 years of life!...I enjoyed the party from far!
    I love you and I am praying for you!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete