Tuesday, June 9, 2009

All Alone with Sunburned Feet

How is it that I lived by myself for eight years with no roommate, no dog, not even a darned fish without any issue at all, but now that my husband is gone for four days, every little noise makes me feel like I've stepped into the next Alfred Hitchcock film??? Dru has gone to be a part of the sea trials on the newest Bath Iron Works floating wonder - a gigantic U.S. Navy ship (a destroyer, I think) where they will test out the ship to make sure it's all in working order before it gets it's final acceptance from the Navy. He is unreachable by phone or email, which is a little scary now that I've hit the 33-week pregnancy mark. But *sigh* as he repeatedly told me, "everything's going to be just fine." It's amazing how much I've come to depend on him and our little routines in just one year of marriage. To make matters worse, we were at the shore on a glorious New England day on Saturday, and I was completely enjoying the sunshine and ocean having (I thought) sunscreened every square inch of myself (including my scalp and the tops of my ears) but as the day worse on, I realized I TOTALLY neglected my feet. This small lapse in judgement resulted in the worst sunburn I think I've ever had. My right foot is swollen nearly twice it's size and on Sunday it felt like it was splintering with every step. Imagine a chubby pregnant lady trying to hop on one foot to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night - not a pretty picture. My dear husband has been making dinner and cleaning so I don't have to hobble around, but now he's gone and I'm resigned to hobbling. But, it IS getting better, and I didn't have to take any sick days off from work due to sunburn, so things could always be worse...

No comments:

Post a Comment